This blog has now been nominated three times for the Liebster Award, which is given to deserving blogs with fewer than 200 followers, most recently by Looking Up With Down Syndrome, and once upon a time by my good friend Anthony at My Gay Mom.
There are several contributors to this blog, so on their behalf, I say thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We are all together right now, bowing in our sweatpants via satellite.
Since I currently have a whole bunch of work to do and it is late in the evening and I enjoy not sleeping after 11pm or so, I have decided to finally accept this glorious award and bestow it upon others. Here are the rules.
1.Thank the Liebster-winning Blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog. If you don’t thank me, you are dead to me.
2. Post 11 interesting facts about yourself.
Here are mine. I’m sorry they aren’t very interesting.
1. I know the difference between a choke hold that will simply make you pass out and a choke hold that will kill you.
2. When I was pregnant, I cried at that movie 5o First Dates with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler.
3. I used to be a sign holder, a dancing waitress at Denny’s, and a construction day laborer.
4. I am exceedingly self-righteous.
5. I attended six different schools by sixth grade.We were not in the military.
6. I have been punched in the mouth more than once.
7. I’m really skilled at the lost art of rollerblading.
8. I’ve smoked pot a handful of times, and I don’t think I ever did it right.
9. I don’t understand wine drinking culture.
10. I get nervous when there is too high a concentration of rich white people in one location (which may explain #9).
11. I am a horrible liar.
3. Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked.
Here are her questions, with my answers.
- Why do you blog? Writing helps me work things out. It’s a compulsion, like many things that I do. And I care less and less about being an officially published writer than actually doing the writing itself, on a regular basis.
- Aside from me and my fabulous blog, what are you passionate about? I am passionate about being a parent, politics, reading, writing, running, music, moving, learning, growing, becoming a better person, slowing my crazy brain down occasionally.
- Myself excluded, who do you admire? I admire my kids. They both have had some significant developmental delays, but they keep kicking ass and surprising me. They are two of the most interesting people I know. I admire my husband because he has so much more compassion than I am capable of. He also makes up way better stories and does an uncanny Pillsbury Doughboy impression.
- What would you like written on your tombstone? “How strange it is to be anything at all.” -Jeff Mangum
- If someone is reading your blog for the first time because a wildly talented, somewhat disheveled blogger who is wearing actual underwear today nominated you for a Liebster Award, which post do you want to make sure they read? There Should Be a Greeting Card for That by contributor Vicky Tulacro or Somebody I Used to Know by contributor Michelle Dowd or More than Fingernails by me.
- Hypothetically speaking, If my kids have allergies but they are not really affecting them right now, is it still okay to give them Benedryl so I can take a nap? Yes, but my kids have the opposite reaction to Benadryl, so that doesn’t work for us, unfortunately.
- What is your favorite place and why? I love the Bay Area, mostly because it is ridiculously beautiful there. I got to live there for two years. I wish I could breathe in that cool, foggy air right now.
- What is your favorite book? I hate this question because I have so many. A few that pop into my brain: The Things They Carried, Fun Home, Wild, Madame Bovary, Foe, Slouching Towards Bethlehem, Giovanni’s Room.
- You know that song that get’s stuck in your head even though you hate it – which song is that? Is it stuck in your head now? It is always “Party in the U.S.A.” That song haunts me.
- What is the meaning of life? Homeostasis.
- Where did I put my car keys? Fuck if I know. Mine are lost, too.
4. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
Here are my 11 questions for my nominees:
1. How are you doing right now? This exact moment? Really?
2. Is Facebook good or evil?
3. What is your best quality?
4. What is your worst quality?
5. Where is the best place in the world you have been to? Why?
6. What is your favorite album from the last 10 years? Why?
7. Why can’t I fall asleep?
8. Does the good in people outweigh the bad? Prove it, you dirty optimist.
9. Will you promise me that you will never use the term “bucket list”?
10. What is the most important lesson you have ever learned?
11. What book do you think I need to read immediately and why? It better not be Fifty Shades of Grey.
5. Nominate 11 blogs of 200 followers or less which you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
1. Second Lunch
This guy does weird, cool comics and I heart them.
2. Mother Sugar
This blog that I’ve been following for some time is “an extended conversation among friends.” There is some beautiful, heartfelt writing here. I want all of these women to be my best friend and whisper wisdom to me over chai lattes.
3. Daniel Nester
I’m sure Daniel has more than 200 followers, but I can’t figure out how to tell. And he’s fucking awesome and way out of my league. We published some profiles of New York together in this book, and I sort of stalk him on Facebook because he’s funny and talented. Sorry I’m such a creep, Daniel.
4. Glass Half Full
I have a son with autism. So does the author of this blog. And she writes about it very well, and with a healthy dose of humor.
5. Absolute Frankness
This girl is 20 and studying the Classics. She lives in Dublin and is working shit out for herself and I like this blog a lot because it is well-written, and, well, frank.
6. Eric Shamp
My friend Eric is good at everything. Like, he doesn’t train for a race and then he beats you anyway good. It’s sort of annoying. A year ago, he started this blog that “illuminate[s] the (partially fictional) life of Thomas Kinkaid in words… colorful words… words of so many goddamn colors…” He only wrote two posts, but they are brilliant. Tell him to write more. I need my Kinkaid-based lit fix.
7. unkilled darlings
“Faulkner said, kill your darlings. I say, put them on the internet and let strangers read them.”
8. Another angry woman
Part anarchist. Part feminist. All angry. Has too many psychology degrees. Likes brevity in internet profiles. Blogs a mishmash of feminism, psychology, politics and navel-gazing.
9. Shoebox Dwelling
I’m sure she has more than 200 followers. Again, I can’t tell. This is a design and culture blog that is simple and beautifully curated.
Melissa and I are Facebook friends. Homegirl has great taste. Check it.
“You tell us what’s wrong. We’ll tell you what to read. You’ll feel better. Or at least smarter.”
6. Display the Liebster Award logo.